Sunday 2 September 2012

Let the fashion begin-MSFW 2012 Launches

Friday night saw Melbourne's fashion elite once again climb the red carpet stairs at the Melbourne Town Hall to welcome in a favourite calendar week- the Melbourne Spring Fashion Week (MSFW) It felt just like yesterday that I was back there in this beautiful building in eager anticipation of the fashions on and off the runway, but how so much has happened in between, especially in the fashion world. What's old is new again, florals are not just a centre piece you place on the table and you can't get any brighter than the fluro trend! But the crowd in attendance were in their finest as we were greeted with champagne at the door and a variety of performances ranging from opera, hula hooping, the grand organ played and a band got the crowd swinging well into the night. The desert bar was a popular spot too where I was thrilled that as a coeliac sufferer I was able to indulge in the most delicious macaroons and chocolate cake. I lost count how many times I did indulge, but I still craved them all the way home. It was great to see the designers enjoy themselves in the lead up to their runway shows where all their hard work is showcased and have a well earned break. Melbourne really does come alive in Spring and there is a great feeling in the air. I was chatting to two Sydney-siders at the end of the evening and they even said that Melbourne is better than Sydney and that there are things we do better. I couldn't believe there was no state rivalry going on, but I could not agree with them more. Melbourne is fashion, all kinds of fashion, trends, individuality, expression, creativity, simplicity, we have it all and we do it so well. I'm so looking forward to Monday where it all begins with fashion films, free city square fashion shows and free exhibitions and of course the showcase runway shows. I look forward to sharing with you my insights and what I discover so check back with me and remember you can also find me on Twitter and Instagram as gtgadabout for a more immediate fix. 
My fine company for the evening consisted of James Nolen(left) film programmer at ACMI, who programed the Deep In Vogue, Fashion on Film season which begins on Monday and fashion blogger Cecylia with her husband/photographer/blogger Chian Kee. I think we were all a bit high on sugar by this point! Lots of fun!
One of the faces of the MSFW campaign discovers the desert bar.It just made everyone happy! Thanks City of Melbourne and MSFW for a fabulous evening, enjoyed by all. My sore feet were resting up at the end of the night, while I was indulging in the goodie bag and looking forward to the first show! 

No comments:

Post a Comment