Friday 10 May 2013

Sleeping Beauty

Source here
Late last month, I was stopped in my tracks when I heard the news report that the singer from the Australian band, the Divinyls, Chrissy Amphlett had died. I knew she had been battling breast cancer for two years and had complications with having Multiple Sclerosis as well, but I thought, this chick is indestructible, she'll be right. Sadly not.
Chrissy has been with me for almost all of my life, with the Divinyls and their music, I have fond memories of re-enacting her songs to friends in the school yard, telling my hairdresser that I want an 'Amphlett', which everybody knew that meant a long fringe in your eyes and lots of layering.  But most importantly, I discovered a strong, unapologetic, energetic and commanding female in the spotlight with a unique raw talent that pushed through her own shyness. I immediately felt a connection, and I know I am not alone. She scared most people and was an intimidating presence, but I do like the fact that a female can hold her own in a male dominated industry and scare a few blokes along the way. The last few weeks I have been listening to the music of the Divinyls daily, forgetting myself in those great guitar twangs, the drums and of course Chrissy's voice. It's hard to imagine such a full life crammed into just 53 years of age, but she has certainly left her mark, and the hope that their hit song 'I touch myself' be used as the Breast Cancer Awareness song would definitely have pleased her. Another great idea which is currently underway is the mission to get a lane named after her by the City of Melbourne, a campaign launched by brilliant writer and astrologer Jessica Adams. If you would like to add your name to the petition to get this happening, just click on the link Chrissy Amphlett petition and add your name. Melbourne's music scene has some great names attached to it, and it would be amazing to walk down the Amphlett lane listening to her music on my ipod filling my ears. Let's hope this happens soon. If you are not aware of the music of the Divinyls and Chrissy's unique theatricality's, scroll down and watch some of my favourite video clips from them. I'm sure you'll be entranced.

Source here
Source here
Source here

Source here
Source here
Source here

Source here

Source here
Source here

Source here

No comments:

Post a Comment