Monday 26 November 2012

You'll always be JR and Major Nelson to me!

Source here
It's funny when you spend a few days without turning on the TV or checking Twitter, the world still turns without you and events still happen without your control. When late at night I turned the TV news on to see the crawl across the bottom of the screen that Larry Hagman had died, I wished I hadn't seen that to be true. He is one of my all time favourite actors and as you would know if you read this blog I am a mega huge Dallas fan and without him, the show would be watchable, but with him, the show is unmissable!
Going back to my first introduction of him was in I dream of Jeannie where I thought who is this handsome young man that is being tormented by this Jeannie? I loved watching his frustration build as he got himself into ludicrous situations and had to convince those around him that everything is normal and he is not going mad- he just made Dr.Bellows go mad! The exasperated call Jeannieeee would always delight me and I always loved the interactions with best friend Roger as these two bachelors were smitten by a women in a bottle. Moving on to Dallas and Larry could not have been given a more suited role for him to play. The complete opposite to who he is in real life but he modelled the character on a Texan he knew and worked for and did a splendid job creating a character you love to hate. Very difficult to do but also so much fun to watch. Joan Collins tweeted that she attributed his character and acting to inspire her to play the role of Alexis in Dynasty. Now that I think of it, I can totally see that- she was the female version of JR. I thought it so sad that just as he had reprised his character on Dallas with the series return and was happy to be finally able to act alongside his best friends and co-stars Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray that he be taken away from us all. I'm glad they were all by his side when he passed and I hope he is donning the biggest Stetson Hat in the sky and watching  from above with that wide eyed grin! 

Source here
Source here
Source here
Source here

One of my favourite episodes of I dream of Jeannie

Source here
Source here
Source here
Source here

This clip sums up JR perfectly, especially that cunning grin that is always up to something!


Every line is delivered with cutting sharp wit that always leaves you wanting more from this character!
Larry Hagman, you were a brilliant actor indeed. Thank you for the years of pure entertainment!

Source here

No comments:

Post a Comment